Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Leafblower: A Multi-Purpose Tool

When we bought a leaf blower a long time ago, I was partially sold on its dual capability: blowing leaves and mulching and bagging them.


During many years of use, I've also found it useful for other things, so I've decided to start cataloguing them. Here's what I have so far.

Use #3: Fire enhancer
A couple years ago I got my backyard "campfire" permit, which allows us to have a campfire. So what if I fuel my campfire with assorted tree limbs, branches and dried weeds accumulated through hours of yard work?

The campfire just happens to be perfect for disposing of such materials. But if I don't have time to wait for the yard waste to burn, the leaf blower comes in handy for accelerating the process. A little 80mph breeze at the base of the fire does wonders for quickly burning through even the greenest wood.

Use #4: Cat catcher
Ozzy is an indoor cat. Despite his repeated protestations, we refuse to let him outside. Because once he gets out there, he won't be satisfied indoors ever again.

Once or twice, however, careless family members have allowed him to sneak outside and duck beneath the deck, which is completely inaccessible to humans. That's where the leaf blower comes in handy. We just point it under one side of the deck, turn it on full, and wait at the other side. Inevitably, Ozzy finds the noise and wind very distasteful, and either tries to make a break for it (into our arms) or run inside where it's calm and comfortable.

I'm sure I'll find more uses for our leaf blower before we retire it. I'll be sure to share them as they arise. Because I know you're all dying to learn more.

0 comments: